This place was known as Portus (river crossing, harbor), which is believed to be the origin of the first part of the city's name "Pforzheim".
A Roman milestone (the so-called 'Leugenstein') from the year 245 and later excavated at nowadays Friolzheim shows the exact distance to 'Portus'; it is the first document about the settlement.
The settlement was located where the Roman military road connecting the military camp Argentoratum (nowadays Strasbourg in France) and the military camp at Cannstatt (now a suburb of Stuttgart) at the Upper Germanic Limes border line of the Roman Empire crossed the Enz river.is a town of nearly 120,000 inhabitants in the state of Baden-Württemberg, southwest Germany at the gate to the Black Forest.It is known for its jewelry and watch-making industry.From 1535 to 1565 it was the home to the Margraves of Baden-Pforzheim.The city is located on the Bertha Benz Memorial Route.
Single community Pforzheim
After the war, the rubble from the destruction was heaped into a large pile (a "Schuttberg") on mount Wallberg and into the Brötzinger Tal valley on the outskirts of the town, resulting in a volcano-ish look of the mountain and the disappearance of the valley.Similar efforts were undertaken in other destroyed cities such as Stuttgart and Munich.259/260: The Roman settlement 'Portus' was destroyed completely, as the Frank and Alemanni tribes overrun the Upper Germanic Limes border line of the Roman Empire and conquered the Roman administrated area west of the Rhine river.From then on, over an extended period of time historical records about the settlement are not available.1200: The town charter of the "new town" was mentioned for the first time in a document.
The "old town" continued to exist as a legally independent entity.
6th/7th century: Graves from this period indicate that the settlement had been continued.
1067: The settlement of Pforzheim was mentioned for the first time in a document by Henry IV, Holy Roman Emperor as "Phorzheim".
Because of that it gained the nickname "Goldstadt" or Golden City.
It has an area of and is situated between the cities of Stuttgart and Karlsruhe at the confluence of three rivers (Enz, Nagold and Würm) and marks the frontier between Baden and Württemberg, being located on Baden territory.